Since 1921, The Virginia Theatre has been a landmark in the business district of Champaign, and in the history of the region. For 75 years, the 1525 seat theatre has offered entertainment as a vaudeville house, legitimate theatre, and movie house. After over three decades as a movie house primarily, the Theatre made the return to live performances in May of 1991 with a live theatre/concert called Songs of America. The show sold out and they had to turn away 200 people. This was the first show at the theatre since the theatre was dedicated to films only. In January of 2000, the Champaign Park District joined in the efforts to save this prized landmark. After assuming control of the theatre, the Park District embarked on a massive renovation to bring the facility back to its original glory and in compliance with local safety ordinances. After renovations are complete, the Virginia Theatre will continue its tradition of quality entertainment that was sparked by such legendary performers such as Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Red Skelton, Will Rogers, W.C. Fields and the Marx Brothers.
The Barrymore Theatre (originally The Eastwood) was built in 1929 as the third movie theater erected in Madison, Wisconsin. It sustained itself as a neighborhood movie theater until the late 70's. The theater was briefly vacant in the early 80's and was renovated into a live events theatre in 1987. That is when it took up it's present name, and began the transformation into what it is today. <a href="http://www.myspace.com/barrymoretheatre" target="new">Source</a>